BASIC ENGLISH II


I'm calling to + (verb)


I'm working on + (noun)
'I'm' is a contraction for the words 'I am.' The phrase 'working on' relays a physical or mental effort towards an accomplishment.

Here are some examples:

"
I'm working on a big project."
"
I'm working on training my dog."
"
I'm working on making new friends."
"
I'm working on educating myself."
"
I'm working on my homework."
"
I am working on painting a house."
"
I am working on a new idea."
"
I am working on my computer."
"
I'm working on my website."

I'm sorry to + (verb)

I'm thinking of + (verb-ing)

I'll help you + (verb)

I'm dying to + (verb)

It's my turn to + (verb)

It's hard for me to + (verb)

I'm having a hard time + (verb-ing)
By stating you are having a hard time you are letting someone know you are having difficulty with something. This could be something physical or mental and something that could be overcome with effort.

Here are some examples:

"
I'm having a hard time writing."
"
I'm having a hard time understanding you."
"
I'm having a hard time answering your question."
"
I'm having a hard time downloading songs to my iPod."
"
I'm having a hard time agreeing to the terms."

With the addition of a verb you can express in more detail just how difficult something is for you.

Here are some examples:

"
I'm having an extremely hard time trusting you."
"
I'm having an extremely hard time with my wife."
"
I'm having a very hard time finding a job."
"
I'm having a very hard time finding parts for my car."

I think I should + (verb)
Here you are telling someone that you feel strongly about doing a particular action. Here are some examples:

"
I think I should practice my reading."
"
I think I should join a study group."
"
I think I should handle this as soon as possible."
"
I think I should earn my degree."
"
I think I should explain myself."

By adding the word 'don't' you have changed what you are conveying from something you are thinking of doing, to something you are against.

Here are some examples:

"
I do not think I should complain so much."
"
I do not think I should attend that event."
"
I do not think I should borrow more money."
"
I do not think I should doubt you."
"
I do not think I should decide until later."

I've heard that + (subject + verb)
You are letting someone know that you are aware of something or that you have been informed of something that is taking place. This could be something that has already happened or something happening in the near future. 'I've' is a contraction of the words 'I have.'

Here are some examples:

"
I've heard that you got a new job."
"
I've heard that you want to leave your job."
"
I've heard that you got a new car."
"
I've heard that you like to jog."
"
I've heard that you fix computers."
"
I've heard that you've never been to Canada."
"
I've heard that you like to shop."
"
I've heard that you and your boss don't get along."
"
I've heard that there is no school next week."
"
I've heard that your wife is a yoga instructor."

It occurred to me that (subject + verb)
The word 'occurred' informs someone that something has come to mind or has been found. You are letting someone know that you suddenly have thought or remembered about something.

Here are some examples:

"
It occurred to me that I forgot your birthday."
"
It occurred to me that we both belong to the same gym."
"
It occurred to me that we enjoy a lot of the same things."
"
It occurred to me the price for homes are more expensive here."
"
It occurred to me that eating healthy makes me feel better."

Using the word 'had' or 'has' can change what you are saying to represent something remembered in a past time.

Here are some examples:

"
It had occurred to me that I forgot something at the grocery."
"
It had occurred to me I might need to change my email address."
"
It has occurred to me I forgot my mom's birthday."
"
It has occurred to me before."

Let me + (verb)

Thank you for

Can I + (verb)
When ending a sentence with a question mark (?) you are asking the person or people you are talking to a question for which you would like an answer. Here you are asking permission to do a particular action.

Here are some examples:

"
Can I answer your question?"
"
Can I attend the event?"
"
Can I move to another spot?"
"
Can I call you tomorrow?"
"
Can I complete this later?"
"
Can I explain myself?"
"
Can I help you with your homework?"
"
Can I include you in our plans?"
"
Can I introduce you to my co-workers?"
"
Can I inform you of some bad news?"

Can I get + (noun)
The phrase 'Can I get' can be used in a couple different ways. You can use it to ask a question.

Here are some examples:

"
Can I get a cup of water?"
"
Can I get a dog?"
"
Can I get lunch?"
"
Can I get sugar in my coffee?"
"
Can I get popcorn at the movie?"

You can also use it when offering to help someone or do something for them.

Here are some examples:

"
Can I get you another drink?"
"
Can I help you move that?"
"
Can I recommend a good place to eat?"
"
Can I take you home?"
"
Can I help you finish your project?"
I'm not sure if (subject + verb)
Do you mind if I + (verb)
I don't know what to + (verb)

I should have + (past participle)
'Should' is the past tense of the word 'shall.' When using the words 'should have' you are talking about something in the past that you 'ought to' or 'might have' done.

Here are some examples:

"
I should have gone with you."
"
I should have studied more for my test."
"
I should have read the directions before starting."
"
I should have eaten breakfast this morning."
"
I should have listened to your advice."
"
I should have married her when I had the chance."

'Shall' is something that will take place or exist in the future.

Here are some examples:

"
I shall leave tomorrow."
"
I shall finish the job next week."
"
I shall see it tomorrow."
"
I shall go outside if it's nice out."
"
I shall pay for this later."

I wish I could + (verb)
You should + (verb)

You're supposed to + (verb)

You seem + (adjective)

You'd better + (verb)

Are you into + (noun)

Are you trying to + (verb)

Please + (verb)

Don't + (verb)

Do you like


Postingan populer dari blog ini

TO BE AND AUXILIARY VERB

ISLAM SEBAGAI AJARAN, PEMAHAMAN DAN PENGAMALAN

Etika Guru Terhadap Atasan (Pemimpin)